Wow, well, that was some debate. I have no clear idea who won. In some ways it was Edwards, but I definitely think his inexperience with the facts on this level hindered him. I will be voting for Kerry and really wanted to like Edwards, but he did seem to be a bit scatterbrained and not always on topic with his responses. On the other hand Cheney behaved as expected--cold, cynical, I am still convinced that he does not have a compassionate bone in his body. He was hunched over the whole time and seemed to be clueless as to where his microphone was located because he kept doing things that would cause fabric to brush up against it or cover it completely. As for his facts, it was another case of rhetorical facts Vs. rhetorical facts. Edwards quoted facts that I recognized as being accurate. But my sources could be wrong. All I'm saying is that neither cleared up any doubts in my mind one way or the other.
Cheney travelled right along partylines, regurgitating the same old talking points the Bush/Cheney campaign have been using all along. I did appreciate that Cheney twice, by my count, declined to take his full time. My attitude is that if you've nothing new to say, don't just speak to take up time. Also, Cheney took a moment to specifically thank Edwards for the nice things he said about Cheney and his family in regards to his gay daughter. What cracked me up is that on C-SPAN, TWO Bush supporters called up and expressed their shock that Edwards would bring up Cheney's daughter like that!
LIKE WHAT?? He was completely respectful you paid-Republican-attack dog, you!
Hell, like I said, Cheney even thanked him for his words!!
As to who won? I'm not sure. I think they both did badly, but since I already hated Cheney, I'd say Edwards did nothing to make me hate him more than I already hate Cheney. That means that in my mind Edwards won, but with much less of an advantage than I expected.
No comments:
Post a Comment