Monday, January 16, 2006

NSA USED COPS TO TRACK NONVIOLENT PROTESTERS

New proof has emerged showing that the NSA used the Baltimore police to track American citizens. Here's a clip from [http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0113-09.htm|a January 13, 2006 article] that ran on the Baltimoresun.com but is now available at CommonDreams.org:
The National Security Agency used law enforcement agencies, including the Baltimore Police Department, to track members of a city anti-war group as they prepared for protests outside the sprawling Fort Meade facility, internal NSA documents show.

The target of the clandestine surveillance was the Baltimore Pledge of Resistance, a group loosely affiliated with the local chapter of the American Friends Service Committee, whose members include many veteran city peace activists with a history of nonviolent civil disobedience.


Nice. This is what always confused me about a police state--How do they get cops to go against the people they are charged to protect?

They make us into the enemy.

Hell, I could have been one of those protesters. I remember at a protest in Hollywood I went to a couple years ago I accidentally got in the way of a cop videotaping protesters. I smiled ad apologized for getting in his way as I tried to set up my own camera angle. He smiled, cordially and said something like: "No, it's OK, you don't have to move."

I smiled and got out of his shot anyway and swung around behind him to get a shot of him video taping the other protesters.

This is what a police state looks like, folks. It may not be Nazi Germany, but when the police are tracking the movements of ANY American citizen who has yet to commit a crime, that's, by definition, a police state.

No comments:

Post a Comment