January 13, 2106 posted by Pete III
As I think back on that night now, I recall an uneasy calm. I suppose I was only nervous because of my context. I certainly wasn't used to hobnobbing with such elites. I am just a reporter and there I was in the same room with the High CEO and the President. They sat as you would probably expect--next to each other with their cabinets at tables on either side of them. The Body Corporate was to the left and Body Government to the right, as is the standard.
Their tables were up on a stage, while the rest of us sat at large, round tables made up like the tables themselves were brides to be. The entire room had walls of Plecksi rising up to a dome that mimicked the one protecting our city. There were even ornamental versions of the anti-bacterial towers that line the outside of our real dome. Even with these towers, from just about any location, along the walls, one could see nearly all of New Angels.
Madame Chancellor was force-feeding me to her various friends or people she referred to as friends but really couldn't stand. I don't enjoy social situations when the people I am to be social with make more money in a day than I make in a year. Some of them appeared to share the same distain for me. I don't blame them. I know my place and that dinner was not mine. I could not wait for the dinner to be served. The "drinks" portion of the event seemed to go on for quite longer than I thought I could bear.
As we moved from one group of wealthy people to the next, I made an excuse. "Look, Madame Chancellor, I, uh, could really see the plumber about now."
"No problem, kid. You know where it is?"
"I'm sure I can find it."
As I started for the exit, Chancellor added: "Don't get lost."
I smiled back at her. 'If I could only be so lucky' was the phrase I wore on my face.
As I reached exit I stepped aside letting by a waiter carrying a tray full of champagne. Yes, this was all class--actual human waiters. As I dodged another waiter, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a shadow, outside the wall of Plecksi I was facing. I stopped and squinted and I could clearly discern a shadow--one shaped suspiciously like a person--a woman, even--move toward one of the ornamental towers. Instead of descending the stairs and exiting I rushed to the Plecksi. I looked around to see if anyone had made the same observation I had, but all were absorbed in their business at hand.
As I looked back to the shape, I could now see it standing fully upright. It was the shape of a woman--it was her.
Without any warning what so ever, she dropped from view. My heart leapt and I raced down the steps to the next level down. I dashed to the window that was most directly beneath where she had been standing. She stood on the other side of it, still shrouded in shadow, but I could see her clearly enough. I have little doubt that she wanted me to see her.
The last time I had seen her she wore a strange mask that seemed to be covered in circuitry. She held her mask in her hand. I moved close to see that her face was actually quite beautiful. Porcelain-white, unlike the rest of her skin which was dark and dirty. She was... intoxicating...
I put my hand against the glass, hoping to make some sort of further connection with her. She stepped away from the edge of the window and dropped into the dark night.
I stood there for only seconds before my tranquility was shattered from above.
A massive explosion shook everything around me. I fell to the floor and could see flames lick down, around the windows on the floor I was on. Huge chunks of Plecksi fell over the side of the building and a large shaft of flame roared down the stairwell I had taken just minutes earlier, engulfing one of those human waiters along with two people who were attending the event.
The next thing I recall was waking up from the floor. I stood up and ignored my immediate dizziness. I rushed directly for the stairwell and then up it. I think it was then when I first noticed how cold it was. The middle of the night, on the top floor of one of the tallest buildings in New Angels, and the Plecksi dome was nearly completely gone.
Their were bodies everywhere. I ignored my fear and disgust with the gruesome sight and looked to the CEO and President. Both had been safely protected by the emergency shells built into the stage beneath their seats. Their shells were designed to resemble old sea shells one could find on beaches, when they were still safe to visit. It was a surreal image on top of an already all too surreal experience.
I don't know what I did next. I think I tried to find Madame Chancellor, but, as you know, I wasn't able to. I remember suddenly finding myself thinking about her--the mystery woman.
Clearly she saved my life.
But why didn't she save everyone else's?
More soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment