SHEESH, I think this is a bad idea. The very things that allowed Pixar to do it's own thing will go away. Pixar head, Steve Jobs, thinks he can still protect his company once it's inside the mega-corp, Disney, but I think he's in for a rude awakening. Once inside a company so large he'll either cave to the "pressure from the shareholders" or Disney will quietly force him out, like Time-Warner did to Ted Turner.
One Pixar's more subtle strengths was it's independence. After its consistent successes with Disney as its distributor, it could have written its own ticket with any other distributor out there. It didn't NEED to be owned by anyone because it was already on its way to become its own mega-corp. This I would applaud because I trust the core-beliefs of the people in direct control of Pixar. I do not trust Disney.
I think Pixar could have provided a valuable example to the rest of the American entertainment industry because of its independence. It was proof that you can succeed and even do well without being owned by a larger company. Sure, Pixar wouldn't exist without Apple, but their relationship is like Micro$oft and NBC--you really think Bill Gates has much day-to-day control over the content of MSNBC?
In a world where there are fewer and fewer smaller companies and larger and more powerful mega-corps, Pixar being bought by Disney is supremely bad news.
That is, unless you actually like mega-corps getting larger and taking away some of your entertainment choices. If that's the case then, yaaaaay for you! :D
:(
No comments:
Post a Comment