Tuesday, January 24, 2006

FutureBlog for January 24, 2106

24 January 2106 by Pete III

"How do you know that it was us they were trying to assassinate?" I asked as we rushed to a nearby stairwell.

"Yes, yes! There are a great number of govcorp types who live on the LNA," Hu added.

"Indeed--and why are you speaking English? You never speak English!"

Ken didn't answer, he just kept descending. I had a powerful urge to step out of the stairwell as the deeper we went, the more questionable our surroundings were.

"Ken! Blast it! Will you stop!" I finally yelled grabbing onto his shoulder and pulling him back.

"Don't you get it?"

"What? The fantasy world you're living in--it's not real!"

"That is the definition of a fantasy world, actually, Ken-san." Hu pointed out.

"Pete. We're eleven levels beneath my neighborhood. Don't you find it strange that I live this close to an area of New Angels that looks this unsafe?"

I didn't need to look around to know that I did not feel safe where we were--not because of anyone who might be following us, but because of the animosity the locals might have toward the type of people we are.

"What's that got to do with anything, Ken?" I asked.

"Just shut up and keep moving!"

I was not used to this level of abrasiveness from him. However, I wasn't going to let him leave me behind. It was obvious that he felt comfortable in that part of the city, so Hu and I kept after him.

"Ken-san knows where he's going, does he?" Hu asked me, somewhat short of breath.

"I'm sure, Doctor. Are you all right?"

"Yes, yes. I must admit that I wasn't expecting a marathon, but I can keep up."

"Good," I said with a confident smile on my face. I hoped that it would make him feel more comfortable under the circumstances. He's getting more than just a marathon, here--and my frustration with Ken was growing the further he led us along.

I can't tell you how long we ran before we stopped. When we did stop I quickly scanned my surroundings. "So, where are we Ken-san?"

"We are in the low rent district."

"Is it safe here, Ken?"

"Of course it is, Pete. You've got to forget what you know. These people are human just like us. They just don't have all of the luxuries we do."

I looked through a window into someone's flat and could see a family eating dinner in front of a dev projection.

"You see that family, Pete? They survive on one-fourth the salary you make working for the SNA."

"What are they doing?" I asked.

"Clearly, they're eating dinner and watching a dev program."

"But they aren't," I said. I had noticed on the dev projection was a long page of text and images.

"They're reading the news together. That's the SNA's site," Ken said. "For all we know that could be one of your articles they're reading. The dev is all these people have. It's their source of education, their source for entertainment, everything. Clearly, they are spending some time learning about what they call the surface world."

I smiled and tossed a glance toward a few locals walking past us. We were dressed far too nicely to avoid drawing attention. I voiced that concern.

"You're worried we'll attract the eyes of the NGNs?" He used the acronym of the NoGoodNicks.

"Yes, Ken. After all, how can you tell the Nogood--" I hesitated realizing that Ken had used the acronym to avoid drawing more attention to us. I continued under my breath. "Ken, how can we even tell these people apart from the NGNs?"

Ken just smiled at me. It wasn't a condescending smile, though that's what I was expecting. "What?"

"I just miss your innocence." Of course, that came across quite condescending, indeed.

"My what?" I asked as Ken walked away from us.

"Come on, Pete," Hu said walking past me.

"What did he mean, Doctor?" I began to walk briskly enough to keep up with Hu.

"I think he wants you to keep your eyes open while we're down here."

"Of course! We need to be careful." I'm a sharp guy--I know where danger can lie.

"No, I think he means that you're a reporter. You should learn about the people down here."

"Oh." My bravado was sufficiently deflated. "I see."

"Here we are," Ken said.

I'll have to tell you where "here" was tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment