Thursday, January 26, 2006

KILLING MOTHER NATURE: MORE FREAK WEATHER

The idea is that sometimes when we do things we inadvertantly change things that don't seem immediately connected to our actions. However, this is not a case like that. Over the last hundred, or so, years, we humans have been spewing chemicals into the air. That air is used by plants and animals (we're one of the latter) to exist in. The air is breathed and expelled. The Earth, herself, uses the air as well for a thing I like to call "the weather".

So, if you're looking for proof that the spewage we've been doing into the Earth's atmosphere is doing some serious damage, here are a few hints in the form of headlines I found around the web earlier this week:

[http://abcnews.go.com/International/CSM/story?id=1534058|Russia's new cold war: -96 degrees F.] (ABCNews.com)

[http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4643718.stm|Dozens killed in Europe's Freeze] (http://news.bbc.co.uk)

[http://www.clickondetroit.com/weather/6377419/detail.html|Snowstorm Closes Hawaii Volcano To Tourists] (ClickOnDetroit.com)

[http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1384801.cms|Mumbaikars get a taste of cold weather] (IndiaTimes.Com)

Remember, just keep watching for the KMN tag for more stories on obvious evidence of our environment changing thanks to our abuse of her.

Yes, I think of the environment as a woman--a living breathing, person whom we should show great respect and care for, but whom will ultimately tear out our heart and stomp on it.

Wait... I think that last part is about my feelings toward actual women...

No comments:

Post a Comment